It’s been awhile since I posted a recipe! Life’s been too crazy with social media and writing to think about food. Who am I kidding… I’ve still been loving food, but I guess I’ve been a bit too pre-occupied to write about it here. If you’re ever missing my food posts, be sure to follow me on Instagram or follow me on Facebook, where I break a cardinal rule of social media and post a ton of pictures of my food :).
On Friday I heard all about my friend Rosemary’s shrimp tacos, so that evening I had to come home and make my own. They were delicious and went down just right with a Corona on my shady back deck. They’re super quick and easy, and totally versatile – meaning many of the ingredients are interchangeable so you can really just use whatever you have on hand. Here’s how I made them, with some ingredient choices.
Shrimp – saute in:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- seasoning you like (I used a mixed cajun rub I found in my cupboard)
Guacamole – mash all this together:
- an avocado, pitted and mashed
- half a lime, juiced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of red onion, finely chopped
- sea salt (a few good turns of the grinder… can always add more!)
- red pepper flakes (for some kick)
Spicy mayo – mix together:
- 2 tbsp mayo
- a couple squirts of Thai hot sauce (sriracha) or any hot sauce (more if you like it hot!)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- greenery – I used spinach and bean sprouts. You could use pea shoots, lettuce, arugula… really anything you have on hand
- red onion
- tomatoes, or salsa (preferably homemade) (optional)
- anything else you want? Go crazy!
Decorate all this on your whole grain tortilla and wrap it. Pop open your beer and you’re all set!