This week I launched a facebook page where I can post my social media thoughts, share some other companies’ social media content and do what I love: build an online community… for myself! I’m really looking forward to connecting with some of you fabulous folks about everything social!
Since this marks a bit of a “launch” for my business, and I (hopefully) will be gaining some new followers, I thought it’d be a good time to share why I’m so into this whole “social media thing.”
So here are my top five reasons why I <3 social media:
- The possibilities are endless. There’s always something new to explore, figure out and strategize around. New advancements in the social media world are innovative, exciting and can make real differences to public relations and business – even to families. How cool is that?!
- Connection. I’ve always been a bit of an introvert, especially around new people. I was the kid who always had her nose stuck in a book. So being able to let my personality shine to the world online is almost liberating. I can connect to people who I might otherwise not have had the nerve to talk to, and feel good about it.
- Instant gratification. Granted, this is not always a good thing for businesses with an online presence who have to monitor for both positive and negative feedback (I’ll write a post about the benefits of this risk later!), but as a user of social media myself, this is what it’s all about. If I want info, I can ask and get it now. If I want to talk to someone, I can now (notice how many people will respond to a Facebook message faster than answering the phone these days?). Even if I want to give someone a piece of my mind, I can now (but I highly discourage this of course — once it’s out there, you can’t take it back!).
- My network. Friends have moved away, I’ve moved away from family… thanks to social media, they’re still close to me. Living hundreds of miles away doesn’t necessarily mean growing apart when you can see pictures and events in their daily lives whenever you want. Even my grandmother has recently joined Facebook to see what we’re up to!
- It’s so FUN! I sometimes lose myself for hours when writing a blog post, following hashtags on Twitter or scanning Instagram photos.
You turn – why do you love social media?